CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Fourteen

Jon figured it was work. The frown on her face said it all. "Work needs you?" His hands fisted as he jammed them into his pockets.

She clutched her cell phone to her chest "Yes" she groaned. God why now? Why now when I actually was beginning to feel something for him? "One of my biggest accounts, Daniel Delmont is threatening to move all his business to our biggest competitor unless I show up in his office tomorrow to sort this mess out." She leaned back into the wall and closed her eyes silently cursing.

Jon clenched his fists, trying not to show his disappointment "You really have to go? No one else can do it for you?" Fuck he sounded pathetic but right now he shoved his pride away. He didn't want her to go. Not now, not when they'd almost… but it wasn't just about that. He looked down and shuffled his feet. He was falling for her. Damn it.

She chuckled placing her phone down "I should be able to let it go, and tell him that Miranda can handle it, but…" she bit on the end of her thumb.

Jon laughed "You have to do it yourself to make sure it's done the way you want?" he asked. God she was so much like him when it came to business.

She stood in the middle of the room letting her arms fall to her side. "I'm so sorry, I'm getting a flight out this morning." Never in her life had she not wanted to go back to work. That was always her life, her livelihood and something she believed in. For the first time ever she wanted to blow it off. Desperately.

Jon came closer and took her hands in his, bringing them to his lips "It’s ok, believe it or not I understand. I'm not ashamed to admit that I don't want you to go though Lily. And it's not just because…" he trailed off as she reached up to his cheek.

"I know, me too." She took the first move this time and leaned in for a long kiss, her tongue teasing his upper lip before snaking into his mouth. His arms folded her in an embrace with the force of his own kiss growing stronger.

"Then don't go," he whispered against her lips, "stay, here with me." He trailed hot wet kisses against her neck receiving a giggle for the effort. She was fucking crazy to say no. But this was new, exciting. This wasn't the Lily she had known for so long the Lily that didn't let people in, why had she gone and done that? It would only end in heartbreak, she knew that better than most.

His grip around her tightened as he gently pushed her back against the wall, his hands moving to cup her face before she could object. She was still going to go, he knew she would but he had to at least try.

"Please stay." The pad of his thumb drew a lazy circle on her cheek.

Her knees were shaking again, why did he do this to her? She became like jelly in his arms so easily. "Jon… I want you…" she closed her eyes "God I want to," she whispered. Breathing in his rich scent again, she hoped to never forget that mix of spring and spice. She put her hands gently on his chest and pushed him back just an inch.

Intense Sapphire eyes threatened to take the very heart of her right there. "I can't."

Jon's lips curved at the side into a small smile "Worth a try though wasn't it?' he teased.

She laughed still in his embrace "You have no idea Jon, I don't usually…" she again stopped scared to say the words but his finger found her lips.

"You don't have to say Lily, I know and I feel the same way ok?" He pulled back finally releasing her, albeit reluctantly from his grip. "Can I at least make you coffee and breakfast while you get ready?" he asked hopefully.

She nodded "I'd really like that, I'll go and pack and get organized, just help yourself in there. The housekeeper will be cleaning up once I've gone so don't worry too much about that," she instructed.

Jon watched her pad her way to the bathroom and let a small moan slip. His eyes fixated on the way her hips swayed when she walked. Was this bad luck? Or was it just the wrong place, wrong time for this? They'd finally just connected in a mutual way putting everything else aside. He hadn't felt this way since he met his wife, hell even this was different in a way. Lily was so self assured and strong yet still so innocent in a way that was so alluring and sexy.

He prepared the toasted muesli, fresh fruit and yogurt for them both and poured two cups of coffee before carrying them out to her deck. The morning was still young, the sun just peeking above the water’s edge reaching into the day. Walking back inside he gathered up her things into a pile that he figured she'd need to take with her when something caught his eye on the table.

He picked up the small pale green business card with silver writing and grinned that it had displayed her name and St James Advertising's numbers and address in Notting Hill, London. He slipped it into the back pocket of his jeans safely. He might let her go now, but he didn't have much business to deal with over the next few weeks so a trip to London just might be on the cards.

Lily showered and redressed quickly, packing everything up in her suitcase before tying her hair up in a loose ponytail and slipping her sunglasses on. Applying some lip gloss she did a once over of the room, ordered a cab. Grabbing her bags she headed back to the living room. Dumping them on the floor she walked out to the deck where Jon was sitting crossed legged enjoying the view.

"Wow I should get you to make breakfast more often" she said sliding into the wooden chair opposite him popping a strawberry in her mouth.

"All part of the morning after service," he teased pouring her a coffee out of the pot.

Lily felt the warmth hit her cheeks. "Well we never really got that far, I'm so sorry I've never fallen asleep on anyone before" she admitted reaching for her spoon and scooping up some muesli.

Jon snorted "And you think I have?"

Lily laughed "I have to say the meal and wine was delicious Jon and thank you for a lovely and well… amusing time this week," she winked remembering his plumbing antics.

"Hey now. I hope you realize that I'll never live that down with my band mates don't you?" he asked digging into his own bowl.

She was sitting there in plain white linen dress and sandals, casual but classy, showing off again those fantastically tanned legs that he almost got to know inside out.

Lily just about choked on her coffee "I'm sorry. Next time how about a simple I'm not sure how to do this but use my shower until your plumber gets there?" curling her lips into a smile she shook her head. Although I did get to see you in a towel.

Jon laughed "I know I admit it, I just wanted an excuse to see you... Its lame I know, but it worked," he admitted holding his hands up.

She twisted her lips into a pout "And again, how about a Lily, I'd like to take you to dinner? It does still work once and a while," she winked.

"And you really would have said yes after the night before incident when you misheard my conversation, sure... you would have said yes?" He rolled his eyes heavenward and then smiled, his blue eyes sparkling.

"Ok ok, it seems that none of us were good at this whole asking people out thing." She swept back loose strands from her face with her hand. She looked down at her watch "Oh god, my cab is going to be here any minute. I have to get there early, now with all the extra security it seems to take forever," she said springing up from her chair carrying her coffee back into the living area.

Jon put down his napkin and followed her "The world has certainly changed over last year hasn't it?" he asked.

She jammed her keys and everything into her leather tote. "It was awful Jon, just awful. Almost makes you never want to fly again, but you know, that's what the bastards want right?" she asked flinging her bag over her shoulder. God she didn't want to go, she wanted to ask if she could call him or something but she was so bad at this.

"You are exactly right Lily St James….are you sure you don't have to go?" he asked reaching out for her arms and drawing her in close, taking her coffee and putting it back on the table.

She chuckled "We've been over this, I want to. You know I do" she tugged at the collar of his shirt. Say it, just ask him damn it.

"Was worth another try" he teased brushing his lips over hers one final time.

She held him back it was now or never "Jon, I really want to say something" she said looking straight into expectant eyes. He nodded so she continued. Again the ridiculous trembles of her arms had started, but she'd kick herself for not saying it.

"I want to thank you, for this, everything… but most of all," she looked down breaking his gaze but it was his hand under her chin that made her connect with him again. "This sounds stupid but, thank you for making me feel normal again" she said finally feeling the breath in her lungs leave.

"Believe it or not I know exactly what you mean, and I hope you don't think I'm being too forward but somehow, someday. I really want to see you again." Their living situations could prove that difficult but he had to know if there was some hope in him pursuing an overseas trip in the very near future.

Nodding gently she felt relief settle through her "I'd really like that Jon," she said simply.

"I'll find you," was all he said before he kissed her once more, the smell of coconuts and mangoes washing over him one more time, the smell he'd always remember her by if nothing else. The sharp honk of a horn interrupted them.

"Be safe" he whispered leaning in, kissing her on the nose and then the forehead. Lily was thankful she still had sunglasses on when the small pricks of tears threatened. She couldn't believe it or understand her reluctance to let go of him but she had to. She collected her bags and with one final "Goodbye Jon," she was gone.

Jon pulled the door shut to the St James house and walked home with more just a small smile on his face. He fished in his back pocket for her business card and reading it again his grin broadened, standing looking out to the beach he thought of the woman that was Lily St James.




I will come for you at nighttime
I will raise you from your sleep
I will kiss you in four places
As I go running along your street
I will squeeze the life out of you

You will make me laugh and make me cry
And we will never forget it
You will make me call your name
And I'll shout it to the blue summer sky
And we may never meet again
So shed your skin and let's get started

And you will throw your arms around me
Yeah, you will throw your arms around me
I dreamed of you at nighttime
And I watched you in your sleep

I met you in high places
I touched your head and touched your feet
So if you disappear out of view
You know I will never say goodbye
And though I try to forget it
You will make me call your name
And I'll shout it to the blue summer sky...

And we may never meet again...
So shed your skin and let's get started
And you will throw your arms around me
Yeah, you will throw your arms around meOh...yeah...

Ohhh yeah...
You will throw your arms around me...
Yeah, you will throw your arms around me....




The End.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was fantastic! I really enjoyed reading this. I can't wait for the next story of Lily and Jon... I hope its soon.

Anonymous said...

O the anticipation, wonderful story, of course we will be following them to London won't we????????

Y

Unknown said...

There isn't a part two is there...??? Cuz I'm freaking the hell out